If you’re an avid coffee fan looking to have a coffee machine in your home to take your taste buds to another level, then you may be looking around for the best single serve coffee maker. They are a great innovation when it comes to introducing fresh store like coffee into your home. The machines are quick to work, convenient, and are also fantastic for those that prefer not to multitask, allowing you to make just one cup of perfect coffee at a time. They also of course can save you a stack of cash, when you compare the price of purchasing all those cups of coffee from stores like Costa, Starbucks and the like.
How do single serve coffee makers work?
The big ‘hidden’ secret behind the best single serve coffee makers and their fast growth in popularity is the pressure that’s used to brew a cup of your favourite beverage. Drip coffee makers are very slow as you literally have to wait for the water to drip through the coffee grounds to make the pot. That is a slow, boring process, especially if you need a quick pick me up, and caffeine boost before you get going for the day. The best single server coffee maker, on the other hand, takes coffee making to a whole new level. They have the ability to heat the water very quickly, and pressure the coffee grounds, in a comparable way to the espresso machines found in leading high street coffee shops.
The outcome of this procedure is that you will be able to have a cup of hot, fresh coffee in a couple of minutes. Even less in some cases depending on the brand of your machine. You cannot really compare this methodology to the passive drip system, and the device is typically louder because it uses a pump with each brew cycle. Each brew is designed just to make one cup of coffee so you need to be very stringent in portion size. As a result, single serve coffee makers use pods that are pre made. The pods are disposable and cheap to purchase.
It’s all about pods
They can only be used once because the pressure used when brewing the cup of coffee punctures holes into them. Another fantastic thing is that you can actually use one to make other beverages, like hot chocolate and tea too. Your ingredients are all packaged into the pod, and you can make tea and hot chocolate too with some brands. There’s absolutely no mess left behind to clean up regardless of if you make tea or coffee, as the leftover remnants of your beverage are cleverly packed inside the pod. All you have to do is remove it and throw it away! It’s so easy to use single serve coffee makers you just have to put the pod inside the machine, brew it and then of course remove it and throw it into the bin! Giving you more time to relax and drink your cup of coffee.
When you have mastered the art of coffee making with one of these babies, there will be no going back to the old-fashioned method of using a kettle or coffee pot.
Before Choosing the Best Single Server Coffee Maker
Before you make the final decision, you need to make sure that the single-serve coffee maker that you are about to buy is really for you. There are so many different types out there on the market, and they are not all the same. Many offer different brewing options, and that is why it is essential to ensure that you are 100% sure that the machine unit is well suited to your individual needs. For example, if you prefer espresso, you will need one that can only brew this type of coffee, or is you like lattes laden with cream or gourmet styled coffee, then of course you need to make sure that the single-serve coffee making machine can make that type of beverage for you.
Think about price
The price also varies a lot when looking for this type of machine, the reason being that the functions are different and there are different types of pods and k cups or capsules that fit the machine. Make sure that you check if the refills are easy to get a hold of. You don’t want to buy a machine that has never got pods available. Make sure to check just how long it takes for the delivery of the pods, and where you can get them from. Furthermore, consider the cost per cup. Most machines offer a price ranging from between 30 cents to 50 cents per cup, which is relatively cheap considering that your store bought coffee is going to cost nothing less than $5 a cup and upwards.
Note that single servers tend to cost more because of the technology they utilise, and of course that the cost of purchasing capsules if you are a caffeine addict, can easily add up. Make sure that the cup size the machine accommodates is something that suits your needs too. For example, there is no point in getting a machine that only enables you to make small mugs of coffee, when you are a travel ready person, and need to be able to hook up your travel mug to the machine too. Also, of course if you need to make more coffee for others around you too, the tank on the machine should be bigger.
Noise and power efficiency
Think about the noise made when the coffee brews and the watts that the machine uses too. It is best to choose a machine that is around 1200 to 1500 watts so that it performs quickly. If you want a quiet machine, then look for one that offers this option. Also, think about if you just want coffee, or if you prefer one that offers you multiple beverage options like tea and hot chocolate too. Remember, only you will know what you need. Be wise, think carefully and your days to beverage perfection will be just around the corner when you choose the right single serve coffee machine.
Top Five Single Serve Coffee Makers
Mr. Coffee BVMC-KG6-001
This is one of the best single serve coffee makers on the market by far. It conveniently lets you brew a great-tasting cup of coffee. The manufacturer recommends that you use filtered or bottled water with the machine. You can, however; use tap water, and many owners of the machine do so too. The reason that the manufacturer suggests that you use bottled or filtered water is so that the machine doesn’t get clogged up with mineral deposits. If you do use tap water though, you can just rinse the machine every few months by running vinegar through to clean it out.
- 40-ounce water storage capacity with a very convenient built in handle.
- Removable lid
- It takes a couple of minutes for the desired temperature to be reached, but after you have brewed the first coffee, additional cups will brew faster.
- On, off and brew button and below these is an LED light that lets you know when it is in use.
- Drip tray that can be removed
- Has the capacity to use larger cups and travel mugs.
This is just right for those that want to have fresh coffee at work. It is a great size to sit on your office desk. Also, because of the option to fit travel coffee cups on it; you can also brew your coffee before heading home from a hard day at work!
This is the mother of single brew coffee machines. It’s all singing, all dancing, and offers so many features you will be spoiled for choice.
- Allows you to brew single cups that are K Cup patented.
- Has a control panel that operates on a one touch basis, with a funky blue LCD backlight display and digital clock.
- Programmable on and off button
- Offers users the chance to brew three cup sizes, 8 ounces, 10 ounces and of course the smaller sized 6 ounces.
- Has a temperate control option, allowing users the chance to adjust the temperature of the brew.
- Fantastic removable drip tray to catch any stray water
- A large reservoir, which will store up to 60 ounces of water.
- All parts are safe to be washed inside the dishwasher
- When ordered, it includes 12 K cup varieties and a kit to filter water
This is just perfect for anyone that is into gadgets, and likes to have the very best when it comes to technology in the home.
Hamilton Beach 49981
This stainless steel award winning device is one of the other best single serve coffee makers that are on the market today. Many that have purchased this device have taken coffee making to a whole new dimension.
- The machine offers users the chance to be able to make a cup of coffee with a single-serve scoop filter. You simply have to put in a scoop of your favourite coffee and brew it!
- Brews up to 14 ounces in a mug or a travel cup, so it is fab for those that need to take their beverage out of the door whilst on the run.
- Made from extremely durable stainless steel
- Complete with a built in stand for coffee mugs
- It takes just 90 seconds to brew an 8-ounce cup of coffee with this machine.
- Automatically closes down after you have brewed your coffee, so it is fantastic for saving on electricity.
This is the ideal coffee solution for those that like to be eco-friendly, and like to drink coffee out of a mug.
The DesktopPro brewing system is perfect to fit onto your desk, so that you can reach for your favourite beverage as and when you need it.
- This device offers users the chance to have an 8-ounce cup of coffee.
- Complete with a single-use water reservoir, mug sensor and pictorial instructions.
- Fantastic feature that saves on energy as it automatically closes after use.
- Time taken to brew coffee – Only 60 seconds
If you have a lack of patience then this is a great solution for you. One minute for a cup of great tasting coffee is perfection for lovers of the fantastic pick me up.
BUNN MCU Single Cup
This machine offers owners the chance to brew both coffee and tea. Below, we have listed the features of this great single serve coffee maker.
- It makes your favourite beverage in just a minute
- Offers four to fourteen-ounce servings
- The drip tray is removable and will fit onto most travel mugs. Great for those that like coffee and lead a hectic lifestyle.
- Features a fantastic pulse brew option that allows you to be able to extract a much stronger flavoured drink
Ideal for those that are in love with tea as well, the option to be able to make both tea and coffee with the machine is perfect to offer you a little bit of choice throughout the day.
So there you have it an introduction into single serve coffee making machines, and the lowdown on what we believe to be five of the best pod coffee maker machines available out there on the market today. Make sure to choose something that fits in with your needs.